The Preclinical Cardiology Microsurgery and Imaging Platform (PCMIP) is a highly specialised group of cardiac physiologists with expertise and access to state-of-the-art technologies, with rigorous models of myocardial infarction (with reperfusion), cardiac arrest, and heart failure.
Contact us for studies requiring small or large models of heart attack, cardiac arrest or heart failure; individual cardiac models or assessments, or independent preclinical trial design and/or delivery.
The PCMIP team and facilities are of international high standing, uniquely equipped with state-of-the-art surgical and imaging technologies, enabling a full suite of capabilities, including:
- Myocardial Ischemia-Reperfusion (MIR): infarction, cardioprotection and heart failure studies.
- Aortic banding/constriction: hypertension, and chronic heart failure studies.
- Cardiac Arrest (CA) and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR): Global ischemia-reperfusion studies, neurological studies.
- Pressure catheterisation: intracardiac and arterial pressure studies.
- Pressure-volume catheterisation: intracardiac pressure-volume loop and PVR studies.
- Electrophysiology: surface lead, implantable telemetry, and EP catheter studies.
- Systolic echocardiography: 2-D and 3-D geometry, EF%, LFS% and Strain (mechanics).
- Diastolic echocardiography: Mitral valve Doppler and tissue Doppler.
- 4T Cardiac Magnetic Resonance (cMR) Imaging: LV/RV geometry and function.
The PCMIP is also an official training partner of Visualsonics (Cardiac Imaging) and AD Instruments (Cardiac P-V Haemodynamics). The platform offers hands-on surgical and imaging training workshops throughout the year. Contact the platform manager for further information.
- Small and Large Animal Surgical Theatre/s with HD-streamed Surgical Microscopes (Zeiss), Advanced Life Support and monitoring capabilities.
- Vevo F2 Ultra-high Frequency Cardiac Ultrasound (Visualsonics, Fujifilm), with complete assortment of cardiac probes for very small to large animals.
- High-resolution 9.4T Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI; Bruker) with cardiac-specific coils, Intragating, and established cardiac imaging sequences with LGE.
- Powerlab-enabled catheter lab with pressure, pressure-volume, and electrophysiology capabilities (shielded/low-noise environment).
- Endura Fluoroscope (Philips) for large animal fluoroscopy enabling percutaneous balloon/stent deployment and intervention.
Access and Contact
Access to this platform is by collaboration or fee for service. For general information, or information on preclinical trials, collaborations and contract research enquiries contact:
Dr Daniel Donner
Senior Research Officer
PCMIP platform at the Baker